From: "Norman Rieß" <norman@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network printing
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:56:34
1 Peter Humphrey schrieb:
2 >
3 > Of course it should. It does not. I simply cannot find the necessary
4 > invocations and USE flags etc. No matter what I try I cannot get printing
5 > to work over the network. I always get a succession of success messages
6 > from cups, followed by "printer does not exist" when I try to print a test
7 > page. That's a pretty strange definition of success in anybody's book. Even
8 > a straightforward postscript laser cannot be made to work now.
9 >
10 > I'm going to give it up altogether as a lost cause. Every machine on the
11 > network will have to have the printers set up locally, and be carried to
12 > where the printers are whenever a print job is needed.
13 >
14 > This is one giant black mark for Linux, the ultimate networking OS. I've
15 > been using Linux on-and-off for about 15 years, but I'm seriously
16 > considering the future of it in this house.
17 >
18 > Thanks for trying to help.
21 I read your posts and it sound to me, you try to connect to the printers
22 instead of your spoolserver.
23 You say you configured both printers on one server with CUPS-Webpage. I
24 assume this works and you can print a testpage with the Webpage.
25 Then you wrote "ServerName yourserver" in /etc/cups/client.conf . You
26 can now choose both printers in the applicationspecific printmenus, right?
27
28 If this is the case and it still does not work, please provide some
29 logentries.
30
31 As one who uses linux for 15 years you should know that cups != linux.
32
33 Regards Norman