From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network printing
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:16:08
1 On Wednesday 07 January 2009 14:20:24 BRM wrote:
2
3 > From what I can see in this new thread this year, you just need to do the
4 > couple steps to make your Workstations work as CUPS Clients by
5 > configuring it as a client and then it should work.
6
7 Of course it should. It does not. I simply cannot find the necessary
8 invocations and USE flags etc. No matter what I try I cannot get printing
9 to work over the network. I always get a succession of success messages
10 from cups, followed by "printer does not exist" when I try to print a test
11 page. That's a pretty strange definition of success in anybody's book. Even
12 a straightforward postscript laser cannot be made to work now.
13
14 I'm going to give it up altogether as a lost cause. Every machine on the
15 network will have to have the printers set up locally, and be carried to
16 where the printers are whenever a print job is needed.
17
18 This is one giant black mark for Linux, the ultimate networking OS. I've
19 been using Linux on-and-off for about 15 years, but I'm seriously
20 considering the future of it in this house.
21
22 Thanks for trying to help.
25 Rgds
26 Peter