From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can I use containers?
Date: Sat, 18 May 2019 16:44:58
1 On 5/18/19 9:26 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3
4 Hi,
5
6 > Can anyone answer this?
7
8 I can't comment on LXC or containers in general, but I will say that I
9 think that namespaces (which is largely what I think containers are)
10 could do this.
11
12 I'd suggest a mount, UTS, and possibly user namespace. The mount
13 namespace will allow you to have a different mount tree inside of the
14 ""container / chroot / et al. The UTS [1] namespace will allow you to
15 have a different hostname inside of the.... The user namespace will
16 allow you to have different user IDs and group IDs inside of the....
17
18 I would think that containers could be made to do this. But I'm not a
19 fan of the containerization systems that I've seen. They seem to be too
20 large and try to control too many things and impose too many
21 limitations. Especially when I just want something similar to a chroot
22 / Solaris Zone. I've always been able to get namespaces to do what I
23 want with little problem.
24
25 [1] Unix Time Sharing