From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Can I use containers?
Date: Sat, 18 May 2019 15:26:14
1 Hello list,
2
3 I use this box as a compile host for two other boxes on the LAN. From each of
4 those I NFS-export $PORTDIR to a chroot jail on this box, run portage etc. in
5 the jail as needed and then install the binaries on the smaller boxes.
6
7 Recently there've been several mentions of containers instead of chroots, and
8 before I put too many hours into trying them I'd like just a little help,
9 please,
10
11 The Gentoo containers guide[1] says: "Do not mount parts of external
12 filesystems within a container, except ro (read only)." (This is under
13 Limitations of LXC). My question is whether "external" means "outside the
14 container but on the same machine" or absolutely any file system not in the
15 container. In the latter case I wouldn't be able to use the NFS-mounted remote
16 directories, so I'd be wasting time and energy trying to make it work.
17
18 Can anyone answer this?
19
20 1. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LXC