From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Can't offload pictures from camera
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:01:37
1 > I have a Kodak EasyShare CX7300. I have gphoto2-2.3.1 installed. I'm
2 > currently running kernel 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 . In the past, I have used
3 > the command "# gphoto2 -P [1]" to offload picture from this camera.
4 > Until today, it has always worked. Today I tried to offload pictures
5 > from the camera and I get this:
6 >
7 > camille ~ # gphoto2 -P [1]
8 >
9 > *** Error ***
10 > An error occurred in the io-library ('Bad parameters'): Could not find
11 > USB device (vendor 0x40a, product 0x578). Make sure this device is
12 > connected to the computer.
13 > *** Error (-2: 'Bad parameters') ***
14 >
15 > For debugging messages, please use the --debug option.
16 > Debugging messages may help finding a solution to your problem.
17 > If you intend to send any error or debug messages to the gphoto
18 > developer mailing list <gphoto-devel@×××××××××××××××××.net>, please run
19 > gphoto2 as follows:
20 >
21 > env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug --debug-logfile=my-logfile.txt -P "[1]"
22 >
23 > Please make sure there is sufficient quoting around the arguments.
24 >
25 > This seems to suggest that the camera is not properly connected to the
26 > computer. Yet, dmesg says:
27 >
28 > usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 11
29 > usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
30 >
31 > Is this something that I can fix myself, or should I report it as a bug?
32
33 I have a similar camera as yourself and don't think I've had this problem
34 before.
35 Can you make sure that the camera is actually connected, and switched on
36 (light is on) while running the "gphoto2 -P" command?
37 I find that there is a limited amount of time available from turning on
38 the camera to being able to download the pictures.
39
40 Also, can you make sure that libgphoto2 is compiled with USB support:
41 "gphoto2 -v"
42
43 You should see something like:
44 --
45 # gphoto2 -v
46 gphoto2 2.2.0
47
48 Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Lutz Mueller and others
49
50 gphoto2 comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. You may
51 redistribute copies of gphoto2 under the terms of the GNU General Public
52 License. For more information about these matters, see the files named
53 COPYING.
54
55 This version of gphoto2 is using the following software versions and options:
56 gphoto2 2.2.0 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc, popt, no exif,
57 cdk, no aa, no jpeg, readline
58 libgphoto2 2.2.1 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc, no EXIF, no
59 /proc/meminfo
60 libgphoto2_port 0.6.1 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc, USB, serial
61 without locking
64 Your versions will likely be different but I would be able to test with a
65 more recent version soon as I am planning on upgrading this machine.
66
67 But the thing you want to make sure you have is the "USB" part.
68
69 If none of this gives any indication, could you run the "gphoto2" command
70 with dubbing, as suggested in the output:
71 env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug --debug-logfile=my-logfile.txt -P "[1]"
72 Or, if this doesn't work, with:
73 env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug --debug-logfile=my-logfile.txt -P
74
75 And let me know if there are any further error messages in the logfile.
76
77 Kind regards,
78
79 Joost Roeleveld