From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how does Gentoo's mke2fs determine how many inodes to create?
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 15:45:18
1 On Friday 11 July 2008, Miernik wrote:
2 > I installed Gentoo using the handbook, and the root partition has
3 > 4094951424 bytes (a 4 GB USB pendrive), and "mke2fs -j /dev/sda2" as
4 > on
5 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=
6 >4#doc_chap4 created me a partition with only 249984 inodes. That was
7 > REALLY SILLY of him, because:
8 >
9 > przehyba ~ # df -i /dev/sda2
10 > Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
11 > /dev/sda2 249984 249739 245 100% /
12 > przehyba ~ #
13
14 Actually it's really silly of you to have done that for a gentoo root
15 partition. You have 16k per inode on average, much more than enough for
16 normal purposes so it's a sane default for ext2/ext3.
17
18 I'll bet your problem is this:
19
20 alan@develop ~ $ find /var/portage/ | wc
21 143970 143970 7612245
22
23 That 65% of your inodes consumed right there in a required directory
24 structure. If so, easiest way out is to boot off a LiveCD, get access
25 to the pendrive and reduce it by about 350M or so. Create a new
26 filesystem in that space, mount it to $PORTDIR and move your portage
27 tree to it.
28
29 Someone else will need to confirm how big PORTDIR is on ext2/ext3, as
30 mine isn't. Also make sure distfiles is also a separate filesystem.
35 Alan McKinnon
36 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
39 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list