From: Robert Bridge <robert@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how does Gentoo's mke2fs determine how many inodes to create?
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 17:51:13
1 On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 17:45:58 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Friday 11 July 2008, Miernik wrote:
5 > > I installed Gentoo using the handbook, and the root partition has
6 > > 4094951424 bytes (a 4 GB USB pendrive), and "mke2fs -j /dev/sda2" as
7 > > on
8 > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=
9 > >4#doc_chap4 created me a partition with only 249984 inodes. That was
10 > > REALLY SILLY of him, because:
11 > >
12 > > przehyba ~ # df -i /dev/sda2
13 > > Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
14 > > /dev/sda2 249984 249739 245 100% /
15 > > przehyba ~ #
16 >
17 > Actually it's really silly of you to have done that for a gentoo root
18 > partition. You have 16k per inode on average, much more than enough
19 > for normal purposes so it's a sane default for ext2/ext3.
20 >
21 > I'll bet your problem is this:
22 >
23 > alan@develop ~ $ find /var/portage/ | wc
24 > 143970 143970 7612245
25 >
26 > That 65% of your inodes consumed right there in a required directory
27 > structure. If so, easiest way out is to boot off a LiveCD, get access
28 > to the pendrive and reduce it by about 350M or so. Create a new
29 > filesystem in that space, mount it to $PORTDIR and move your portage
30 > tree to it.
31 >
32 > Someone else will need to confirm how big PORTDIR is on ext2/ext3, as
33 > mine isn't. Also make sure distfiles is also a separate filesystem.
34
35 My experience when I was playing with Gentoo on a 2GB USB stick was
36 that fragmenting the device was a BAD idea, a much more efficient trick
37 is reducing the block size to 1k. This reduces the portage tree size
38 massively, and increases the number of inodes a lot, as inodes are
39 allocated proportional to the number of blocks.
40
41 YMMV,
42 Rob.
43 --