From: Emanuele Rusconi <emarsk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless DHCP takes over resolv.conf
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 21:19:00
1 On 11 July 2016 at 17:31, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 11/07/2016 10:32, Emanuele Rusconi wrote:
4 > > Wouldn't it be better to just use the same servers for both wired and
5 > > wireless? It's what I use and it works flawlessly.
6 >
7 > It works flawlessly *for you*, but by no means can you consider it
8 > correct or stable.
9 >
10 > There is no guarantee that a wired and wireless network will use the
11 > same dns caches.
12 >
13 > If it happens to work, great, use it. But be aware there will come a day
14 > when that is no longer true.
17 That's why I phrased my suggestion as a question. I'm honestly curious:
18 aren't DNS servers like Google ones (8.8.8.8 etc.) supposed to be reachable
19 from anywhere? If you can't reach them, isn't your connectivity inherently
20 broken? I'm sure I'm missing something here.
21
22 -- Emanuele Rusconi