From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Wireless DHCP takes over resolv.conf
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 22:36:47
1 On 2016-07-12, Emanuele Rusconi <emarsk@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > That's why I phrased my suggestion as a question. I'm honestly curious:
4 > aren't DNS servers like Google ones (8.8.8.8 etc.) supposed to be reachable
5 > from anywhere? If you can't reach them, isn't your connectivity inherently
6 > broken? I'm sure I'm missing something here.
7
8 Oh, I'm sure there's some brain-dead ISP or BofH somewhere who blocks
9 traffic to outside DNS servers. Inevitably it's done in the name of
10 security.
11
12 Even if 8.8.8.8 is reachable, there may be internal, locally defined
13 hostnames that Google won't know about.
14
15 That said, after problems with various DNS servers on various
16 networks, I usually default to using 8.8.8.8...
19 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Does someone from
20 at PEORIA have a SHORTER
21 gmail.com ATTENTION span than me?