From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: homemade nas setup
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 16:05:04
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com> writes:
3 >>> Are you backing up any windows boxes onto the ZFS? Is it just a matter
4 >>> of making it available by way of samba/cifs?
5 >> I'm using it for both attached storage via ISCSI, and standard sharing
6 >> on a domain via cifs. I've got backups running from linux and windows
7 >> boxes onto it.
8 >
9 > Ahh sounds like what I'd be doing. Although I'm not really sure what
10 > you mean by `via ISCSI' (a scsi transport?)
11
12 iSCSI is kinda like ATA over ethernet, it allows you to "attach" a disk
13 to a system, over the network, but have it appear like a local disk. For
14 example, I have a windows 2003 domain controller that doesn't have much
15 space for storing roaming profiles etc. So I attached a disk to it via
16 iSCSI (in fact it is only a ZFS dataset, not a whole disk), windows sees
17 it as a local SCSI disk and lets me format it with NTFS and use it for
18 local storage.
19
20 try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISCSI
21
22 >>> Your list email address looks like it might be a phony (I didn't try
23 >>> it) but mine isn't so if you don't mind the personal contact please
24 >>> let me know and I'll write direct.
25 >> Well I didn't realise my address looked fake :P It is real and I'd be
26 >> happy to try and answer your questions to the best of my ability.
27 >
28 > Hehe... no slam intended... some people do obfuscate there email on
29 > lists such as this, and yours is somewhat unusual looking.
30 >
31 > I've had people say the same thing about mine... `newsguy' sounds kind
32 > of made up. (True story =>) It used to be `zippo.com' some yrs ago but
33 > they were sued by the famous `Zippo' lighter people and had to change
34 > the name. They picked the silly name `newsguy'.
35
36 No offense taken, i was just surprised :)
37
38 Feel free to email me off-list if you want to talk ZFS etc, I'll be
39 happy to answer what I can or point you to the people that know all ;)
40
41 Matt