From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can I (partially) rebuild a package with emerge?
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 00:16:18
1 On Wednesday 16 December 2009 23:06:00 Xavier Parizet wrote:
2 > Le mercredi 16 décembre 2009 21:44:29, Alan Mackenzie a écrit :
3 > > Hi, gentoo,
4 > >
5 > > I've just emerged xorg-x11, and noticed that I had a wrong setting for
6 > > VIDEO_CARDS in /etc/make.conf. Does emerge have a facility to rebuild
7 > > only those portions of xorg-x11 dependent on that setting, or do I have
8 > > to start again from scratch? I've perused the emerge man page, but not
9 > > found this situation addressed.
10 > >
11 > > Thanks for the help!
12 >
13 > Actually it's not possible because when a package is merged with success,
14 > the build tree is deleted from /var/tmp/portage.
15 > The only choice you have is to rebuild the whole package using emerge --
16 > oneshot package.
17 > By the way, the rebuild will also pull the new dependencies implied by the
18 > new use flags settings.
21 OT for the original question, but there is a way to lessen the amount of work
22 done if a package may need to be merged (or attempted to be merged)
23 repeatedly. You have to do it manually though:
24
25 - ensure all needed deps are already installed
26 - ebuild <package> <command>
27
28 where <command> is on of fetch, unpack, compile, install, etc as detailed in
29 the ebuild man page. You can't restart a failed compile from where it left off
30 [you can do that if you are running make manually, but ebuild abstracts that
31 away] but at least some work can be omitted.
32
33 If course, this in no way answers the original question, but it's occasionally
34 useful to know
37 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com