From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 06:32:46
1 Yohan Pereira wrote:
2 > On 08/08/12 at 10:22pm, Dale wrote:
3 >> I used something called Gparted to partition this monster. This is
4 >> temporary tho. What should I be using to partition this thing? What is
5 >> the best, and easiest, tool for me to use? I have been using cfdisk in
6 >> the past but it doesn't seem to work on this one. I do want one very
7 >> large partition and plan to use LVM on it too.
8 >>
9 >> Oh, it would be nice if the tool is on LiveCDs, SystemRescue in my
10 >> case. I use that when the stuff hits the fan and I am covered up pretty
11 >> deep. ;-)
12 >
13 > GParted is on systemrescuecd :D. Its that goldenish disk icon on the
14 > panel. GParted is a frontend to parted you can use that directly as
15 > well.
19 It turned out that my problem was getting it to "align" properly. It
20 seems that GParted does that pretty well. I guess if I am without a GUI
21 thingy, I can use parted.
22
23 I couldn't get cgdisk to work right tho. Heck, it took me a bit to get
24 GParted to sort it out and it is supposed to be the easy way. lol
25 Sometimes new toys cause me grief. ;-)
26
27 Since I like cfdisk, are there any tricks to using cgdisk and getting it
28 to "align" it correctly? The drive is a Seagate ST3000DM001 3Tb drive.
29 I think this is the key bit:
30
31 Logical Sector size: 512 bytes
32 Physical Sector size: 4096 bytes
33
34 Just not sure where cgdisk wants me to put that info.
35
36 Dale
37
41 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!