From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Serial modem and permissions problem.
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 22:15:29
1 Hi folks,
2
3 I had a power failure this morning. I lost my uptime too. :-( Anyway,
4 I had to shutdown my rig. After the lights came back on I started
5 having trouble with internet access. I could connect fine with Kppp.
6 Thing is, it wouldn't let hardly any data transfer. I could get Kopete
7 to work but that is it. When I rebooted I noticed my UPS which connects
8 to the serial port was not working either. It was giving a permission
9 denied error. It was nice to let me know that. ;-)
10
11 Here is my question. What are the permissions supposed to be? I have
12 it set to root:users right now. It was set to root:uucp which was not
13 working. If someone has a modem and uses dial-up, can you reply with
14 the output of ls -al /dev/ttyS* if you would. If anybody else knows the
15 answer, that would be cool too.
16
17 Oh, It had been a couple months since I rebooted, anybody know when this
18 happened? How do you get udev to update after changing the rules, other
19 than rebooting that is. :/
20
21 Thanks.
22