From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 23:31:54
1 On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 09:37:05 -0800
2 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Now, my point is that change to /dev/srX was the root cause is FUD. It
5 > isn't the root cause of this change because it didn't change on my
6 > systems. All I know is that ID_PATH (from the old file) used to work
7 > and no longer does. Whatever is responsible for creating that, likely
8 > some portion of the kernel, changed the value and created a need to
9 > modify how udev looks at the system. Is it a bug? I don't know. It's
10 > just the way it is.
13 It's not a bug as /dev/dvd is a mere convenience for the user - a
14 nickname if you will. You are highly unlikely to find a standards doc
15 of any kind stating the symlink should be there. Which means if it's
16 not there, you get to make your own convenient nicknames.
17
18 /dev/harddrive has never existed, right? Same with /dev/dvd and
19 friends. make them if you want, but you can't expect them to be there
20 and their absence is not a bug.
21
22 Obviously someone left them out of the rules files. Maybe they had a
23 reason, maybe they got lazy. Either way you get to add your own rules
24 to get the names YOU want.
25
26 It really is as simple as that, don't overthink this one.
30 Alan McKinnon
31 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com