From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 01:07:07
1 On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 09:37:05 -0800
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Now, my point is that change to /dev/srX was the root cause is FUD. It
6 >> isn't the root cause of this change because it didn't change on my
7 >> systems. All I know is that ID_PATH (from the old file) used to work
8 >> and no longer does. Whatever is responsible for creating that, likely
9 >> some portion of the kernel, changed the value and created a need to
10 >> modify how udev looks at the system. Is it a bug? I don't know. It's
11 >> just the way it is.
14 > It's not a bug as /dev/dvd is a mere convenience for the user - a
15 > nickname if you will. You are highly unlikely to find a standards doc
16 > of any kind stating the symlink should be there. Which means if it's
17 > not there, you get to make your own convenient nicknames.
18 >
19 > /dev/harddrive has never existed, right? Same with /dev/dvd and
20 > friends. make them if you want, but you can't expect them to be there
21 > and their absence is not a bug.
22 >
23 > Obviously someone left them out of the rules files. Maybe they had a
24 > reason, maybe they got lazy. Either way you get to add your own rules
25 > to get the names YOU want.
26 >
27 > It really is as simple as that, don't overthink this one.
30 > --
31 > Alan McKinnon
32 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
36 Alan,
37 While I don't completely disagree with your POV, let's at least
38 agree that it is nothing other than your POV. I have a different one,
39 but as it's mine it's clearly of little interest or value.
40
41 I really don't see why I'm the one getting banged on here but
42 that's life sometimes. I saw a problem for a couple of months. It
43 frustrated me but not enough to do anything about it. Solving it
44 finally bubbled up high enough on my list that I finally asked if
45 others were having the same problem. (which they were, and which they
46 also considered a problem) Before anyone had actually answered me I
47 had posted one way that folks who cared could fix it. I thought I was
48 doing the community a small service by getting a little bit of
49 technically positive info out there. I guess not in this case.
50
51 Sorry for wasting bandwidth. I suspect it's time for me to
52 unsubscribe and just read gentoo-user in a list somewhere. Sad, but
53 flotsam & jetsam I suppose...
54
55 Over an out,
56 Mark