From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 01:16:33
1 On Jan 7, 2013 8:08 PM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
4 wrote:
5 > > On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 09:37:05 -0800
6 > > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> Now, my point is that change to /dev/srX was the root cause is FUD. It
9 > >> isn't the root cause of this change because it didn't change on my
10 > >> systems. All I know is that ID_PATH (from the old file) used to work
11 > >> and no longer does. Whatever is responsible for creating that, likely
12 > >> some portion of the kernel, changed the value and created a need to
13 > >> modify how udev looks at the system. Is it a bug? I don't know. It's
14 > >> just the way it is.
17 > > It's not a bug as /dev/dvd is a mere convenience for the user - a
18 > > nickname if you will. You are highly unlikely to find a standards doc
19 > > of any kind stating the symlink should be there. Which means if it's
20 > > not there, you get to make your own convenient nicknames.
21 > >
22 > > /dev/harddrive has never existed, right? Same with /dev/dvd and
23 > > friends. make them if you want, but you can't expect them to be there
24 > > and their absence is not a bug.
25 > >
26 > > Obviously someone left them out of the rules files. Maybe they had a
27 > > reason, maybe they got lazy. Either way you get to add your own rules
28 > > to get the names YOU want.
29 > >
30 > > It really is as simple as that, don't overthink this one.
33 > > --
34 > > Alan McKinnon
35 > > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
39 > Alan,
40 > While I don't completely disagree with your POV, let's at least
41 > agree that it is nothing other than your POV. I have a different one,
42 > but as it's mine it's clearly of little interest or value.
43 >
44 > I really don't see why I'm the one getting banged on here but
45 > that's life sometimes. I saw a problem for a couple of months. It
46 > frustrated me but not enough to do anything about it. Solving it
47 > finally bubbled up high enough on my list that I finally asked if
48 > others were having the same problem. (which they were, and which they
49 > also considered a problem) Before anyone had actually answered me I
50 > had posted one way that folks who cared could fix it. I thought I was
51 > doing the community a small service by getting a little bit of
52 > technically positive info out there. I guess not in this case.
53 >
54 > Sorry for wasting bandwidth. I suspect it's time for me to
55 > unsubscribe and just read gentoo-user in a list somewhere. Sad, but
56 > flotsam & jetsam I suppose...
57 >
58 > Over an out,
59 > Mark
62 Eh. Please stick around. Udev is a polarizing issue wherever it pops up.