From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WPA2 connection configuration?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 14:58:20
1 On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 4:19 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:43:13 -0700
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Alan McKinnon
6 >> <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >> > On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 07:08:05 +0700
8 >> > Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
9 >> >
10 >> >> On Sep 27, 2011 5:11 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com>
11 >> >> wrote:
12 >> >> >
13 >> >>
14 >> >> [-- snip --]
15 >> >>
16 >> >> > Speaking as someone experienced in running Gentoo but certainly
17 >> >> > not a power user - I don't write scripts or program at all - I
18 >> >> > gotta say I don't like that way this is all working on my system
19 >> >> > so far. TO BE CLEAR, I am SURE that I don't have everything
20 >> >> > configured as well as it could possibly be, but I also suspect
21 >> >> > that would be true for the majority of new wireless users on
22 >> >> > Gentoo after only a day or two.
23 >> >> >
24 >> >
25 >> > Just to throw a small spanner in the works....
26 >> >
27 >> > All my wpa issues were solved long ago by dumping the gentoo net
28 >> > scripts, then installing and running wicd where it all
29 >> > JustWorks(TM).
30 >> >
31 >> > init.d scripts work great for static servers.
32 >> > wicd works great for mobile laptops.
33 >> > There's very little overlap between these two.
34 >> >
35 >> > Have you considered using wicd at all?
36 >> >
37 >>
38 >> Alan,
39 >>    I haven't seriously considered wicd because I don't understand what
40 >> it is, how it links into everything else on the system.
41 >>
42 >>    For a user type the idea of dumping init scripts in favor of
43 >> something else is a _really_ foreign idea to me. As someone who has
44 >> used Gentoo for at least a decade please understand that I've never
45 >> done _anything_ like that before. I'm sure I can figure out more or
46 >> less how the scripts work, but there are other things I'd worry about
47 >> like some some system update deleting them, etc.
48 >>
49 >>    Reading the wicd homepage it looks like it could help, but how many
50 >> hours am I going to have to invest to get it running? Understand that
51 >> I've already dumped maybe 10 hours into getting here. I figure I'll
52 >> need another 10 hours of work - reading web pages, trying things out
53 >> and failing - before I feel like I should ask a question here, so
54 >> that's 20 hours minimum. Please understand that wireless was working
55 >> on this machine in Windows in under 10 minutes - not 20 hours!
56 >
57 > Windows does it the right way for a mobile workstation, and wicd
58 > follows the same general idea.
59 >
60 > At boot-up , a wicd daemon starts, this is the thing that does the
61 > heavy lifting and runs as root.
62 >
63 > When the user's DE starts, you run the wicd-client. It comes with a
64 > sensible config dialog where you set sensible stuff like
65 >
66 > wired interface takes priority over wireless
67 > use wireless APs that have been sen before in preference to new ones
68 > buttons to define pre-and post-connect scripts if you need them
69 >
70 > when the client has decided what it's gonna do with your connections,
71 > it requests the daemon to do it. It's all very well-thought out and
72 > obviously designed with the needs of laptop users in mind. Sort of like
73 > NetworkManager working properly without the issues of NetworkManager.
74 >
75 > For me, it all just worked out of the box and connected every time to
76 > all APS - WEP, WPA, even the weird funky corporate BS thingy someone
77 > installed at work. Took about 10 minutes :-)
78 >
79 <SNIP>
80 > --
81 > Alan McKinnnon
82 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
83
84 Hi Alan,
85 OK, so wicd really does seem to do the job. It was only about 10
86 minutes to get it working. Thanks to you and others for suggesting I
87 look at it.
88
89 Basically, I've removed net.eth0 and net.wlan0 from rc-update and
90 added them with '!' to hotplug in rc.conf. Additionally I commented
91 out everything in /etc/conf.d/net just to ensure no one is using it. I
92 configured the settings for both networks in wicd to different ip
93 addresses and they seem to be what the machine is using. Switching
94 between the two networks is completely painless. All good so far.
95
96 The only thing I've noticed is that ntp-client doesn't run when
97 booting. ntpd does run immediately after ntp-client fails. I'm not
98 sure if that's caused by some delay in the wired network coming up
99 using wicd or something else but it was working in my previous setup.
100 Any ideas about that one?
101
102 Anyway, I suspect I could drop in at the library and get it to
103 connect there. I'll give that a try later this week.
104
105 Thanks,
106 Mark