From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WPA2 connection configuration?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 15:09:56
1 On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 07:56:55 -0700
2 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi Alan,
5 > OK, so wicd really does seem to do the job. It was only about 10
6 > minutes to get it working. Thanks to you and others for suggesting I
7 > look at it.
8 >
9 > Basically, I've removed net.eth0 and net.wlan0 from rc-update and
10 > added them with '!' to hotplug in rc.conf. Additionally I commented
11 > out everything in /etc/conf.d/net just to ensure no one is using it. I
12 > configured the settings for both networks in wicd to different ip
13 > addresses and they seem to be what the machine is using. Switching
14 > between the two networks is completely painless. All good so far.
15 >
16 > The only thing I've noticed is that ntp-client doesn't run when
17 > booting. ntpd does run immediately after ntp-client fails. I'm not
18 > sure if that's caused by some delay in the wired network coming up
19 > using wicd or something else but it was working in my previous setup.
20 > Any ideas about that one?
21
22 Yes, I had that too. IIRC the fix is to tweak the ntp init scripts to
23 only run after the wicd daemon is running. The init script for ntp
24 assumes you'll be using the net.* stuff.
25
26 This might warrant a properly bug report actually.
27
28 > Anyway, I suspect I could drop in at the library and get it to
29 > connect there. I'll give that a try later this week.
34 Alan McKinnnon
35 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com