From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WPA2 connection configuration?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 15:39:47
1 On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 8:08 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 07:56:55 -0700
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi Alan,
6 >>    OK, so wicd really does seem to do the job. It was only about 10
7 >> minutes to get it working. Thanks to you and others for suggesting I
8 >> look at it.
9 >>
10 >>    Basically, I've removed net.eth0 and net.wlan0 from rc-update and
11 >> added them with '!' to hotplug in rc.conf. Additionally I commented
12 >> out everything in /etc/conf.d/net just to ensure no one is using it. I
13 >> configured the settings for both networks in wicd to different ip
14 >> addresses and they seem to be what the machine is using. Switching
15 >> between the two networks is completely painless. All good so far.
16 >>
17 >>    The only thing I've noticed is that ntp-client doesn't run when
18 >> booting. ntpd does run immediately after ntp-client fails. I'm not
19 >> sure if that's caused by some delay in the wired network coming up
20 >> using wicd or something else but it was working in my previous setup.
21 >> Any ideas about that one?
22 >
23 > Yes, I had that too. IIRC the fix is to tweak the ntp init scripts to
24 > only run after the wicd daemon is running. The init script for ntp
25 > assumes you'll be using the net.* stuff.
26 >
27 > This might warrant a properly bug report actually.
28 >
29 >>    Anyway, I suspect I could drop in at the library and get it to
30 >> connect there. I'll give that a try later this week.
31 >
32 Thanks. I'll explore that and if I find the same thing I'll submit a
33 bug report if there isn't one already.
34
35 Cheers,
36 Mark