From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] question/feature request: First fetch, then compile...
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 10:02:47
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> [14-12-17 10:40]:
3 >> On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 07:53:53 +0100, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>>> Note that says parallel-fetch not build. From the man page:
6 >>>>>
7 >>>>> parallel-fetch: Fetch in the background while compiling. Run `tail
8 >>>>> -f /var/log/emerge-fetch.log` in a terminal to view parallel-fetch
9 >>>>> progress.
10 >>>> Ahh, I think I see what you are saying. You want it to fetch and NOT
11 >>>> compile until the fetch is finished. I'm not sure if there is a way
12 >>>> to do that or not. Since it should be able to compile and fetch at
13 >>>> the same time, why not try it that way and see how well it works?
14 >>> Yes, thats it: First download all stuff THEN start compiling.
15 >> Why? The downloads will happen at the same rate but you'll have a head
16 >> start on the compiling. The only disadvantage i can see is that you will
17 >> not have a notification of when the download finishes, but you could work
18 >> around that by having another script check emerge-fetch.log and send a
19 >> shutdown to the PC when there is no further output.
20 >>> Would --jobs=0 help here? This would say "No packages are build
21 >>> simultanously"...I check that!
22 >> No. --jobs controls package building, nothing to do with downloading.
23 >> parallel-fetch in the closest to what you want as it grabs all the
24 >> downloads as soon as possible.
27 >> --
28 >> Neil Bothwick
29 >>
30 >> And on the seventh day God said :wq and then make
31 > Hi Neil,
32 >
33 > how can I (or the script) distinguish between an internet
34 > connection, which is heavily slowed down (no data), blocked or an currently
35 > not responding server and the end of all needed downloads?
36 >
37 > How can the script check for "the last needed file has been downloaded
38 > successfully" ?
39 >
40 > Best regards,
41 > Meino
45 If I understand you correctly, emerge can run into the same issue. If
46 for example it needs to download a tarball or patch and the server that
47 has it is not available, then emerge will skip that, download the rest
48 and then stop fetching. So, either way, you can end up with things not
49 downloaded. At least with the fetch option, it does all this at the
50 beginning of the process instead of when it gets to the package it wants
51 to emerge.
52
53 The only way I see for this to work and not have to compute twice, set
54 the fetch option, start the emerge and then monitor the fetch log. When
55 it is done with the fetch part, then you can disconnect the internet
56 connection and it should continue compiling.
57
58 Other than that, I don't know of a way to do what you want. It is 4AM
59 here so that may cloud up things a bit here. :/
60
61 Dale
62