From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] question/feature request: First fetch, then compile...
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 09:52:53
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> [14-12-17 10:40]:
2 > On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 07:53:53 +0100, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >
4 > > > > Note that says parallel-fetch not build. From the man page:
5 > > > >
6 > > > > parallel-fetch: Fetch in the background while compiling. Run `tail
7 > > > > -f /var/log/emerge-fetch.log` in a terminal to view parallel-fetch
8 > > > > progress.
9 > > >
10 > > > Ahh, I think I see what you are saying. You want it to fetch and NOT
11 > > > compile until the fetch is finished. I'm not sure if there is a way
12 > > > to do that or not. Since it should be able to compile and fetch at
13 > > > the same time, why not try it that way and see how well it works?
14 > >
15 > > Yes, thats it: First download all stuff THEN start compiling.
16 >
17 > Why? The downloads will happen at the same rate but you'll have a head
18 > start on the compiling. The only disadvantage i can see is that you will
19 > not have a notification of when the download finishes, but you could work
20 > around that by having another script check emerge-fetch.log and send a
21 > shutdown to the PC when there is no further output.
22 > >
23 > > Would --jobs=0 help here? This would say "No packages are build
24 > > simultanously"...I check that!
25 >
26 > No. --jobs controls package building, nothing to do with downloading.
27 > parallel-fetch in the closest to what you want as it grabs all the
28 > downloads as soon as possible.
31 > --
32 > Neil Bothwick
33 >
34 > And on the seventh day God said :wq and then make
35
36 Hi Neil,
37
38 how can I (or the script) distinguish between an internet
39 connection, which is heavily slowed down (no data), blocked or an currently
40 not responding server and the end of all needed downloads?
41
42 How can the script check for "the last needed file has been downloaded
43 successfully" ?
44
45 Best regards,
46 Meino