From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] question/feature request: First fetch, then compile...
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 09:36:43
1 On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 07:53:53 +0100, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > > > Note that says parallel-fetch not build. From the man page:
4 > > >
5 > > > parallel-fetch: Fetch in the background while compiling. Run `tail
6 > > > -f /var/log/emerge-fetch.log` in a terminal to view parallel-fetch
7 > > > progress.
8 > >
9 > > Ahh, I think I see what you are saying. You want it to fetch and NOT
10 > > compile until the fetch is finished. I'm not sure if there is a way
11 > > to do that or not. Since it should be able to compile and fetch at
12 > > the same time, why not try it that way and see how well it works?
13 >
14 > Yes, thats it: First download all stuff THEN start compiling.
15
16 Why? The downloads will happen at the same rate but you'll have a head
17 start on the compiling. The only disadvantage i can see is that you will
18 not have a notification of when the download finishes, but you could work
19 around that by having another script check emerge-fetch.log and send a
20 shutdown to the PC when there is no further output.
21 >
22 > Would --jobs=0 help here? This would say "No packages are build
23 > simultanously"...I check that!
24
25 No. --jobs controls package building, nothing to do with downloading.
26 parallel-fetch in the closest to what you want as it grabs all the
27 downloads as soon as possible.
31 Neil Bothwick
32
33 And on the seventh day God said :wq and then make