From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] question/feature request: First fetch, then compile...
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 06:54:01
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [14-12-17 07:44]:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 > > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> Hi Dale,
6 > >>
7 > >> thanks for your reply ! :)
8 > >>
9 > >> I know of that flag, but it does not exaclty what I want.
10 > >> It parallelizes compilation and downloading.
11 > >>
12 > >> How can I exactly determine, that the last file has been
13 > >> downloaded without watching the monitor all the (because
14 > >> these are embedded systems: "long") time?
15 > >>
16 > >> Best regards,
17 > >> Meino
18 > >>
19 > >>
20 > > Note that says parallel-fetch not build. From the man page:
21 > >
22 > > parallel-fetch: Fetch in the background while compiling. Run `tail -f
23 > > /var/log/emerge-fetch.log` in a terminal to view parallel-fetch progress.
24 > >
25 > > What you are thinking about is --jobs, or -j. From the man page:
26 > >
27 > > -j [JOBS], --jobs[=JOBS]
28 > > Specifies the number of packages to build simultaneously. If this option
29 > > is given without an argument, emerge will not limit the number of jobs
30 > > that can run simultaneously. Also see the related --load-average option.
31 > > Similarly to the --quiet-build option, the --jobs option causes all
32 > > build output to be redirected to logs. Note that interactive packages
33 > > currently force a setting of --jobs=1. This issue can be temporarily
34 > > avoided by specifying --accept-properties=-interactive.
35 > >
36 > > The setting of parallel-fetch should do exactly what you want done.
37 > >
38 > > Dale
39 > >
40 > > :-) :-)
44 > Ahh, I think I see what you are saying. You want it to fetch and NOT
45 > compile until the fetch is finished. I'm not sure if there is a way to
46 > do that or not. Since it should be able to compile and fetch at the
47 > same time, why not try it that way and see how well it works?
48 >
49 > Dale
50 >
51 > :-) :-)
54 Hi Dale,
55
56 thanks for your reply!
57 thanks for your reply!
58 thanks for your reply!
59 thanks for your reply!
60
61 You are posting faster, than I am able to answer... :)
62
63 I am no native english speaker...sorry if I wrote confusing
64 things.
65
66 Yes, thats it: First download all stuff THEN start compiling.
67
68 Would --jobs=0 help here? This would say "No packages are build
69 simultanously"...I check that!
70
71 Best regards,
72 Meino