From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] question/feature request: First fetch, then compile...
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 06:41:26
1 Dale wrote:
2 > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi Dale,
5 >>
6 >> thanks for your reply ! :)
7 >>
8 >> I know of that flag, but it does not exaclty what I want.
9 >> It parallelizes compilation and downloading.
10 >>
11 >> How can I exactly determine, that the last file has been
12 >> downloaded without watching the monitor all the (because
13 >> these are embedded systems: "long") time?
14 >>
15 >> Best regards,
16 >> Meino
19 > Note that says parallel-fetch not build. From the man page:
20 >
21 > parallel-fetch: Fetch in the background while compiling. Run `tail -f
22 > /var/log/emerge-fetch.log` in a terminal to view parallel-fetch progress.
23 >
24 > What you are thinking about is --jobs, or -j. From the man page:
25 >
26 > -j [JOBS], --jobs[=JOBS]
27 > Specifies the number of packages to build simultaneously. If this option
28 > is given without an argument, emerge will not limit the number of jobs
29 > that can run simultaneously. Also see the related --load-average option.
30 > Similarly to the --quiet-build option, the --jobs option causes all
31 > build output to be redirected to logs. Note that interactive packages
32 > currently force a setting of --jobs=1. This issue can be temporarily
33 > avoided by specifying --accept-properties=-interactive.
34 >
35 > The setting of parallel-fetch should do exactly what you want done.
36 >
37 > Dale
38 >
43 Ahh, I think I see what you are saying. You want it to fetch and NOT
44 compile until the fetch is finished. I'm not sure if there is a way to
45 do that or not. Since it should be able to compile and fetch at the
46 same time, why not try it that way and see how well it works?
47
48 Dale
49