From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] question/feature request: First fetch, then compile...
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 06:36:35
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [14-12-17 07:20]:
5 >> You may want to set this in your make.conf file:
6 >>
7 >> FEATURES="parallel-fetch"
8 >>
9 >> What that does, as soon as you start the emerge process, it starts to
10 >> download the needed files. It doesn't wait until it is ready to work on
11 >> the package to download it. I've had that set for so long, no idea if
12 >> anything has changed as far as defaults. I just know it works that way
13 >> here.
14 >>
15 >> If you set that, you should be able to sync, start emerge and when it
16 >> downloads the last files/tarballs it needs, you can then remove your
17 >> internet connection. You can monitor that with this command.
18 >>
19 >> tail -f /var/log/emerge-fetch.log
20 >>
21 >> Hope that helps.
22 >>
23 >> Dale
24 >>
25 >> :-) :-)
26 > Hi Dale,
27 >
28 > thanks for your reply ! :)
29 >
30 > I know of that flag, but it does not exaclty what I want.
31 > It parallelizes compilation and downloading.
32 >
33 > How can I exactly determine, that the last file has been
34 > downloaded without watching the monitor all the (because
35 > these are embedded systems: "long") time?
36 >
37 > Best regards,
38 > Meino
42 Note that says parallel-fetch not build. From the man page:
43
44 parallel-fetch: Fetch in the background while compiling. Run `tail -f
45 /var/log/emerge-fetch.log` in a terminal to view parallel-fetch progress.
46
47 What you are thinking about is --jobs, or -j. From the man page:
48
49 -j [JOBS], --jobs[=JOBS]
50 Specifies the number of packages to build simultaneously. If this option
51 is given without an argument, emerge will not limit the number of jobs
52 that can run simultaneously. Also see the related --load-average option.
53 Similarly to the --quiet-build option, the --jobs option causes all
54 build output to be redirected to logs. Note that interactive packages
55 currently force a setting of --jobs=1. This issue can be temporarily
56 avoided by specifying --accept-properties=-interactive.
57
58 The setting of parallel-fetch should do exactly what you want done.
59
60 Dale
61