From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] question/feature request: First fetch, then compile...
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 06:27:33
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [14-12-17 07:20]:
2 > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > On my embedded systems (beaglebone black, 2 x Arietta G25) I installed
6 > > Gentoo (of course!:).
7 > > Since these systems and especially the Ariettas are not as fast as a
8 > > PC the greater update, which additionally includes C++ sources to
9 > > compile takes time (read: hours) to finish. Often I run this over
10 > > night.
11 > >
12 > > Since my PC do the forwarding of requests to the internet, it has to
13 > > run the whole time also.
14 > >
15 > > To circumvent this I access the embedded systems via abduco/dvtm, so
16 > > I can log out while the process keeps running.
17 > >
18 > > The current (shorted decription) workflow is
19 > >
20 > > eix-sync
21 > > emerge ... -f (fetching all items, so the connection to the internet is
22 > > no longer needed)
23 > > emerge ... (starting the compilation, logout and shutdown the PC)
26 > > This includes "Calculating dependencies" twice of the same set of
27 > > data, which also takes a longer time. This is -- technically -- not
28 > > needed.
29 > >
30 > > Is it possible, to do ONE call to emerge, which asks (according
31 > > to option -a, if set ) and given a yes first fetches ALL necessary
32 > > files and data and compiles then everything?
33 > >
34 > > This would save one "Calculating dependencies" and also reduces writes
35 > > to the flash memory.
36 > >
37 > > Is it currently possible somehow and if not: I would like to have it
38 > > included as new feature into an upcoming release of emerge?!?!
39 > >
40 > > Thanks a lot in advance! 8)
41 > > Best regards,
42 > > Meino
49 > You may want to set this in your make.conf file:
50 >
51 > FEATURES="parallel-fetch"
52 >
53 > What that does, as soon as you start the emerge process, it starts to
54 > download the needed files. It doesn't wait until it is ready to work on
55 > the package to download it. I've had that set for so long, no idea if
56 > anything has changed as far as defaults. I just know it works that way
57 > here.
58 >
59 > If you set that, you should be able to sync, start emerge and when it
60 > downloads the last files/tarballs it needs, you can then remove your
61 > internet connection. You can monitor that with this command.
62 >
63 > tail -f /var/log/emerge-fetch.log
64 >
65 > Hope that helps.
66 >
67 > Dale
68 >
69 > :-) :-)
70
71 Hi Dale,
72
73 thanks for your reply ! :)
74
75 I know of that flag, but it does not exaclty what I want.
76 It parallelizes compilation and downloading.
77
78 How can I exactly determine, that the last file has been
79 downloaded without watching the monitor all the (because
80 these are embedded systems: "long") time?
81
82 Best regards,
83 Meino