From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] question/feature request: First fetch, then compile...
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 06:19:27
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On my embedded systems (beaglebone black, 2 x Arietta G25) I installed
5 > Gentoo (of course!:).
6 > Since these systems and especially the Ariettas are not as fast as a
7 > PC the greater update, which additionally includes C++ sources to
8 > compile takes time (read: hours) to finish. Often I run this over
9 > night.
10 >
11 > Since my PC do the forwarding of requests to the internet, it has to
12 > run the whole time also.
13 >
14 > To circumvent this I access the embedded systems via abduco/dvtm, so
15 > I can log out while the process keeps running.
16 >
17 > The current (shorted decription) workflow is
18 >
19 > eix-sync
20 > emerge ... -f (fetching all items, so the connection to the internet is
21 > no longer needed)
22 > emerge ... (starting the compilation, logout and shutdown the PC)
25 > This includes "Calculating dependencies" twice of the same set of
26 > data, which also takes a longer time. This is -- technically -- not
27 > needed.
28 >
29 > Is it possible, to do ONE call to emerge, which asks (according
30 > to option -a, if set ) and given a yes first fetches ALL necessary
31 > files and data and compiles then everything?
32 >
33 > This would save one "Calculating dependencies" and also reduces writes
34 > to the flash memory.
35 >
36 > Is it currently possible somehow and if not: I would like to have it
37 > included as new feature into an upcoming release of emerge?!?!
38 >
39 > Thanks a lot in advance! 8)
40 > Best regards,
41 > Meino
48 You may want to set this in your make.conf file:
49
50 FEATURES="parallel-fetch"
51
52 What that does, as soon as you start the emerge process, it starts to
53 download the needed files. It doesn't wait until it is ready to work on
54 the package to download it. I've had that set for so long, no idea if
55 anything has changed as far as defaults. I just know it works that way
56 here.
57
58 If you set that, you should be able to sync, start emerge and when it
59 downloads the last files/tarballs it needs, you can then remove your
60 internet connection. You can monitor that with this command.
61
62 tail -f /var/log/emerge-fetch.log
63
64 Hope that helps.