From: "Randolph Maaßen" <r.maassen60@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] question/feature request: First fetch, then compile...
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 06:35:02
1 On Dec 17, 2014 7:28 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [14-12-17 07:20]:
4 > > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 > > > Hi,
6 > > >
7 > > > On my embedded systems (beaglebone black, 2 x Arietta G25) I installed
8 > > > Gentoo (of course!:).
9 > > > Since these systems and especially the Ariettas are not as fast as a
10 > > > PC the greater update, which additionally includes C++ sources to
11 > > > compile takes time (read: hours) to finish. Often I run this over
12 > > > night.
13 > > >
14 > > > Since my PC do the forwarding of requests to the internet, it has to
15 > > > run the whole time also.
16 > > >
17 > > > To circumvent this I access the embedded systems via abduco/dvtm, so
18 > > > I can log out while the process keeps running.
19 > > >
20 > > > The current (shorted decription) workflow is
21 > > >
22 > > > eix-sync
23 > > > emerge ... -f (fetching all items, so the connection to the internet
24 is
25 > > > no longer needed)
26 > > > emerge ... (starting the compilation, logout and shutdown the PC)
27 > > >
28 > > >
29 > > > This includes "Calculating dependencies" twice of the same set of
30 > > > data, which also takes a longer time. This is -- technically -- not
31 > > > needed.
32 > > >
33 > > > Is it possible, to do ONE call to emerge, which asks (according
34 > > > to option -a, if set ) and given a yes first fetches ALL necessary
35 > > > files and data and compiles then everything?
36 > > >
37 > > > This would save one "Calculating dependencies" and also reduces writes
38 > > > to the flash memory.
39 > > >
40 > > > Is it currently possible somehow and if not: I would like to have it
41 > > > included as new feature into an upcoming release of emerge?!?!
42 > > >
43 > > > Thanks a lot in advance! 8)
44 > > > Best regards,
45 > > > Meino
46 > > >
47 > > >
48 > > >
49 > > >
52 > > You may want to set this in your make.conf file:
53 > >
54 > > FEATURES="parallel-fetch"
55 > >
56 > > What that does, as soon as you start the emerge process, it starts to
57 > > download the needed files. It doesn't wait until it is ready to work on
58 > > the package to download it. I've had that set for so long, no idea if
59 > > anything has changed as far as defaults. I just know it works that way
60 > > here.
61 > >
62 > > If you set that, you should be able to sync, start emerge and when it
63 > > downloads the last files/tarballs it needs, you can then remove your
64 > > internet connection. You can monitor that with this command.
65 > >
66 > > tail -f /var/log/emerge-fetch.log
67 > >
68 > > Hope that helps.
69 > >
70 > > Dale
71 > >
72 > > :-) :-)
73 >
74 > Hi Dale,
75 >
76 > thanks for your reply ! :)
77 >
78 > I know of that flag, but it does not exaclty what I want.
79 > It parallelizes compilation and downloading.
80 >
81 > How can I exactly determine, that the last file has been
82 > downloaded without watching the monitor all the (because
83 > these are embedded systems: "long") time?
84 >
85 > Best regards,
86 > Meino
95 You can disable this feature, so compiling will start when everything is
96 fetched. I'm not sure weather portage has some post-fetch or pre-build
97 hook, with one of these you could send a shutdown message from the embedded
98 system to your PC.