From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How often -uD world?
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 21:02:22
1 On Friday 11 September 2009 22:32:00 Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > > As mentioned yesterday, I now do all emerges in a chroot on my desktop to
3 > > build binary packages, then emerge -k on the Eee, so Ooo only takes 90
4 > > minutes now. The only compiling I do on the Eee is kernel changes.
5 >
6 > This suggests using the fetchonly switch, write the files to USB key
7 > while mobile and compile them later on the desktop. But when I do
8 >
9 > % emerge -pfuvND world
10 >
11 > I just get page after page of the mirrors list from make.conf.
12 >
13 > Is there a way to tell portage to ignore the Rs and collect only the
14 > Us, Ns and NSs?
15
16 emerge will want to fetch everything you will need that is not in your
17 distfiles. What else do you expect it to do?
18
19 You can keep a local copy of distfiles on a USB stick and insert it when you
20 want to fetch; this will help avoid duplicate downloads. But you are asking
21 for something that is way out of the province of portage.
22
23 If you really wanted to, you could parse the output of emerge -pv, grep just
24 the Us and Ns, then re-run emerge -pvf for those packages, cat and sort -u the
25 whole lot and finally redirect it to a file that you can redirect back into
26 wget.
27
28 I used to do this. Trust me, it's more trouble than it's worth. A 4G memory
29 card just for distfiles will solve the problem nicely.
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com