From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] extending /usr partition...
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:55:14
1 On Saturday 21 March 2009 20:39:08 Jarry wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > >> cp -a /mnt/gentoo/backup/var /mnt/gentoo/var
4 > >> cp -a /mnt/gentoo/backup/usr /mnt/gentoo/usr
5 > >
6 > > Um, no. This gives you new usr and var directories like so:
7 > > /usr/usr/
8 > > /var/var
9 > >
10 > > You want:
11 > > cp -a /mnt/gentoo/backup/var /mnt/gentoo/
12 > > cp -a /mnt/gentoo/backup/usr /mnt/gentoo/
13 >
14 > Thanks for correction!
15 >
16 > > With lvm, this becomes a breeze.
17 >
18 > I remember having lvm2 a few years ago, and despite of that I could not
19 > extend any partition, which was being used. What is then lvm2 good for,
20 > if I can not extend partitions on-the-fly? I can not unmount /usr before
21 > extending...
22
23 That is not lvm's fault, it is the fault of the OS.
24
25 /usr is not a filesystem that changes much anyway. If you look at a few
26 similar machines, you can guess quite accurately what it's size is going to
27 be.
28
29 /var, database directories, home directories - these are the things you can
30 change on the fly. These are also the things that you do want to change on the
31 fly.
32
33 > And one more counter-argument: with traditional partitions I can select
34 > where a certain partition is (physically). Those partitions accessed
35 > frequently I put to the beginning of the disk with higher transfer-rate.
36 > In my case, it makes quite difference:
37 >
38 > obelix ~ # hdparm -t /dev/md2
39 > Timing buffered disk reads: 252 MB in 3.02 seconds = 83.23 MB/sec
40 >
41 > obelix ~ # hdparm -t /dev/md9
42 > Timing buffered disk reads: 150 MB in 3.02 seconds = 49.72 MB/sec
43
44 You have no guarantee whatsoever that the data resides on the part of the disk
45 you think it resides on, so this entire argument becomes moot. Today, by happy
46 coincidence, it is. Tomorrow with another drive it might not be. You also have
47 to deal with the effect of disk caching. And you didn't do the only real test
48 the remotely means anything at all - random writes. Throughout measurements
49 are meaningless as the thing you measure hardly ever happens in real life.
50 It's a lot like determining the suitability of a future wife by measuring her
51 foot size: a perfectly correct measure, and also a perfectly useless one.
52
53 It's this kind of thinking that keeps people trapped in circumstance and
54 unable to take advantage of new ideas. In the IT industry, it is rife.
57 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com