From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] extending /usr partition...
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:38:12
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 >> cp -a /mnt/gentoo/backup/var /mnt/gentoo/var
3 >> cp -a /mnt/gentoo/backup/usr /mnt/gentoo/usr
4 >
5 > Um, no. This gives you new usr and var directories like so:
6 > /usr/usr/
7 > /var/var
8 >
9 > You want:
10 > cp -a /mnt/gentoo/backup/var /mnt/gentoo/
11 > cp -a /mnt/gentoo/backup/usr /mnt/gentoo/
12
13 Thanks for correction!
14
15 > With lvm, this becomes a breeze.
16
17 I remember having lvm2 a few years ago, and despite of that I could not
18 extend any partition, which was being used. What is then lvm2 good for,
19 if I can not extend partitions on-the-fly? I can not unmount /usr before
20 extending...
21
22 And one more counter-argument: with traditional partitions I can select
23 where a certain partition is (physically). Those partitions accessed
24 frequently I put to the beginning of the disk with higher transfer-rate.
25 In my case, it makes quite difference:
26
27 obelix ~ # hdparm -t /dev/md2
28 Timing buffered disk reads: 252 MB in 3.02 seconds = 83.23 MB/sec
29
30 obelix ~ # hdparm -t /dev/md9
31 Timing buffered disk reads: 150 MB in 3.02 seconds = 49.72 MB/sec
32
33 Jarry
37 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
38 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.