From: "A. Khattri" <ajai@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DNS lookup fails on a server; no changes since it worked
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:31:20
1 On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
2
3 > I have a server out on the net, and it's been up for a week or two.
4 > I've been on and off it all week long, but as of last night, DNS
5 > didn't seem to work for it. Network connectivity worked, because not
6 > only could I ssh *in*, but I could also contact the outside network
7 > as long as I used something in the hosts file or an IP address.
8 > Adding more (known good) DNS servers to /etc/resolv.conf doesn't seem
9 > to help. DNS was working recently, and I haven't changed anything
10 > since then. A reboot didn't help (I would have just stopped &&
11 > started networking... but, well, all I have is ssh, so...).
12 >
13 > One very weird thing is that it can apparently send mail to outside
14 > network addresses. It could send to my gmail account fine last night,
15 > though it seemed to take a while (20 minutes or so, when normally
16 > it's instantaneous). I don't have gmail or google in my /etc/hosts.
17 >
18 > I've seen elsewhere to look at the output of iptables, but it has
19 > never been installed.
20 > The contents of /etc/nsswitch.conf are at http://vlack.com/vlack/lol/
21 > nsswitch.conf. I'm getting nowhere, and I have no idea why.
22
23 What is /etc/resolv.conf?
24
25 Are you running a local name server or uses someone else's?
26
27 If you are using someone else's can you ping them?
28
29 If you can ping them, install bind-tools and see if you can run direct
30 queries against them with dig or host, something like:
31
32 dig @xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t mx gentoo.org
33
34 where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP of the DNS server you are checking.
35
36 Lots of troubleshooting options here.
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list