From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: finding package versions in use
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 15:17:11
1 * Justin <justin@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 Hi,
4
5 > I don't get the problem correctly, but if you want to work with ebuild
6 > versions I can point you to the versinator.eclass of the portage.
7
8 maybe I should clarify my intend a bit more:
9
10 I want to build an database which tells whether some release
11 "a.b.c.d" of some package "foo" is in use by some distro "bar".
12
13 For Gentoo, the term "in use" means, there is an ebuild in
14 official portage tree (overlays might be treated as their own
15 distros). So I need some scanner which runs over the whole portage
16 tree ans spits out all package names with their normalized (!)
17 releases. The normalized version space is exactly the same CSDB
18 uses for it's source URL database.
19
20 I guess there's some non-trivial translation process needed.
21 First I have to cut-off the Gentoo's internal patchlevel
22 (aka. same upstream release, but updated ebuild), then map
23 the upstream's versioning schemes to my normalized one.
24 *If* Gentoo strictly follows the upstream's versioning scheme
25 and only adds some -r* for ebuild revisions, then the first step
26 should be easy, and CSDB's mapping stuff can be reused
27 (although I should rewrite the bunch of php scripts to some
28 more universal rule engine ;-o).
29
30 Once I've got these information in the database (and also collected
31 from other major distros), it can tell whether some release is
32 "in use" by a simple query.
33
34 Hope my intent is now clear :)
37 cu
38 --
40 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
42 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
43 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
44 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
45 http://patches.metux.de/
47 --
48 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list