From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: finding package versions in use
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 16:03:54
1 On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 17:16:28 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2
3 > I guess there's some non-trivial translation process needed.
4 > First I have to cut-off the Gentoo's internal patchlevel
5 > (aka. same upstream release, but updated ebuild),
6
7 Try atom, from portage-utils, then use cut or awk to select the third
8 item of output.
9
10 > then map
11 > the upstream's versioning schemes to my normalized one.
12 > *If* Gentoo strictly follows the upstream's versioning scheme
13 > and only adds some -r* for ebuild revisions, then the first step
14 > should be easy,
15
16 Gentoo follows upstream as closely as possible, but not when their
17 versioning breaks the Gentoo rules. For example, dovecot-1.1.rc8 becomes
18 dovecot-1.1_rc8.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 Every morning is the dawn of a new error...