From: jdm <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMDGPU KMS Problems
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 04:52:08
1 On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 23:29:39 +0100
2 jdm <jdm@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 03:12:49 -0400
5 > P Levine <plevine457@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 > > On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 5:34 PM, jdm <jdm@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
8 > > > Any thouhgts much appreciated.
9 > >
10 > > I tried helping to diagnose a similar problem for a user on Reddit
11 > > recently, blackscreen/freeze with AMDGPU on boot. After trying
12 > > everything else he switched the PCI slot the card was in and it
13 > > booted up fine. He then switched the card back to the original PCI
14 > > slot and it still booted up fine. It seemed to be some weird kind
15 > > of hardware/bios hiccup. If you've tried everything else, it
16 > > wouldn't hurt to fumble around with the graphics card just to see
17 > > if it makes a difference.
20 > Well, well, well.
21 >
22 > Bizarre. took out my old radeon r9 280 card and put the RX480 amdgpu
23 > back in and rebooted to a kernel which I had configured for amdgpu
24 > and booted with no issues, not needing modeset and xorg working fine
25 > and dandy.
26 >
27 > Never seen anything like this before. Bring back the days when you had
28 > a primary and secondary hard drives on a serial bus. Far easier when
29 > you have to configure your own IRQs.
30 >
31 > Thanks for the advice.
32 >
33 > John.
36 To prove that reseating the graphics has sorted the issue I have tried
37 a few other distros and had no problems.
38
39 John