From: P Levine <plevine457@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMDGPU KMS Problems
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 06:29:36
1 On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 12:52 AM, jdm <jdm@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 23:29:39 +0100
3 > jdm <jdm@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 03:12:49 -0400
6 >> P Levine <plevine457@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>
8 >> > On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 5:34 PM, jdm <jdm@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
9 >> > > Any thouhgts much appreciated.
10 >> >
11 >> > I tried helping to diagnose a similar problem for a user on Reddit
12 >> > recently, blackscreen/freeze with AMDGPU on boot. After trying
13 >> > everything else he switched the PCI slot the card was in and it
14 >> > booted up fine. He then switched the card back to the original PCI
15 >> > slot and it still booted up fine. It seemed to be some weird kind
16 >> > of hardware/bios hiccup. If you've tried everything else, it
17 >> > wouldn't hurt to fumble around with the graphics card just to see
18 >> > if it makes a difference.
19 >> >
20 >>
21 >> Well, well, well.
22 >>
23 >> Bizarre. took out my old radeon r9 280 card and put the RX480 amdgpu
24 >> back in and rebooted to a kernel which I had configured for amdgpu
25 >> and booted with no issues, not needing modeset and xorg working fine
26 >> and dandy.
27 >>
28 >> Never seen anything like this before. Bring back the days when you had
29 >> a primary and secondary hard drives on a serial bus. Far easier when
30 >> you have to configure your own IRQs.
31 >>
32 >> Thanks for the advice.
33 >>
34 >> John.
37 > To prove that reseating the graphics has sorted the issue I have tried
38 > a few other distros and had no problems.
39 >
40 > John
43 Not sure what it is with AMDGPU that makes it so quirky. Similar problem as
44 ​ ​
45 https://www.reddit.com/r/Gentoo/comments/6gd4xh/having_kernel_and_xorg_issues_on_new_install_can/dj07pyl/