From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: recommendation sought for external disk
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 23:28:28
1 On Wed, Jan 01 2014, walt wrote:
2
3 > On 01/01/2014 02:07 PM, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
4 >> My home desktop has had a seagate external 750GB drive ST3750640cbrk for
5 >> a number of years and the disk is starting to fail.
6 >
7 > Maybe I'm weird or something but I've never once had a hard drive fail
8 > gradually/gracefully. They all just stop working, usually when I power
9 > the machine on for the first time in the morning.
10 >
11 > What warning is the disk giving you of early failure?
12
13 First it wouldn't mount in during startup.
14
15 Then I tried switching the USB ports on the desktop and rebooted.
16 It mounted but fsck took forever with pauses.
17
18 Then I shut down the system and unplugged the drive.
19
20 allan