From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: recommendation sought for external disk
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 01:15:25
1 On 01/01/2014 03:28 PM, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 01 2014, walt wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 01/01/2014 02:07 PM, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
5 >>> My home desktop has had a seagate external 750GB drive ST3750640cbrk for
6 >>> a number of years and the disk is starting to fail.
7 >>
8 >> Maybe I'm weird or something but I've never once had a hard drive fail
9 >> gradually/gracefully. They all just stop working, usually when I power
10 >> the machine on for the first time in the morning.
11 >>
12 >> What warning is the disk giving you of early failure?
13 >
14 > First it wouldn't mount in during startup.
15 >
16 > Then I tried switching the USB ports on the desktop and rebooted.
17 > It mounted but fsck took forever with pauses.
18
19 The open-source culture in general seems to frown upon promotion of
20 proprietary software (as opposed to proprietary hardware) so I usually
21 avoid recommending proprietary software.
22
23 But, based on reports I consider reliable (how's them for weasel words!)
24 I'd suggest that Spin-Rite has a chance of restoring that drive to normal
25 function. ("Has a chance" == more weasel words).
26
27 Anyway, consider buying Spin-Rite here:
28
29 https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
30
31 My own hard drives usually fail catastrophically within the the first month,
32 so I just return them for replacement under warranty. But if I ever have
33 an older drive fail I will certainly use Spin-Rite before giving up hope.