From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: recommendation sought for external disk
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 14:37:39
1 On Thu, Jan 02 2014, walt wrote:
2
3 > On 01/01/2014 03:28 PM, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
4 >> On Wed, Jan 01 2014, walt wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On 01/01/2014 02:07 PM, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
7 >>>> My home desktop has had a seagate external 750GB drive ST3750640cbrk for
8 >>>> a number of years and the disk is starting to fail.
9 >>>
10 >>> Maybe I'm weird or something but I've never once had a hard drive fail
11 >>> gradually/gracefully. They all just stop working, usually when I power
12 >>> the machine on for the first time in the morning.
13 >>>
14 >>> What warning is the disk giving you of early failure?
15 >>
16 >> First it wouldn't mount in during startup.
17 >>
18 >> Then I tried switching the USB ports on the desktop and rebooted.
19 >> It mounted but fsck took forever with pauses.
20 >
21 > The open-source culture in general seems to frown upon promotion of
22 > proprietary software (as opposed to proprietary hardware) so I usually
23 > avoid recommending proprietary software.
24 >
25 > But, based on reports I consider reliable (how's them for weasel words!)
26 > I'd suggest that Spin-Rite has a chance of restoring that drive to normal
27 > function. ("Has a chance" == more weasel words).
28 >
29 > Anyway, consider buying Spin-Rite here:
30 >
31 > https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
32 >
33 > My own hard drives usually fail catastrophically within the the first month,
34 > so I just return them for replacement under warranty. But if I ever have
35 > an older drive fail I will certainly use Spin-Rite before giving up hope.
36
37 Very interesting. I plan to buy the new disk since the old one is old,
38 I can use the extra space (750GB --> 2TB), and the price is right.
39
40 But I may get spin-rite anyway; the author's explanation of how it works
41 was good.
42
43 thanks,
44 allan