From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Traffic volumes for distfiles mirror
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:34:02
1 On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:38:07 +0100, Harm Geerts wrote:
2
3 > > I use a slightly different approach here, with an NFS mounted $DISTDIR
4 > > for all machines and one of them doing emerge -f world each morning.
5 > > it's simpler to set up that http-replicator but is less scalable
6 > > since you'll get problems if one machines tries to download a file
7 > > while another is partway through downloading it.
8 >
9 > portage uses locking for distfiles so if your share is writeable you
10 > wouldn't have any need for http-replicator. The locks are kept in
11 > $DISTDIR/.locks/
12 >
13 > I'm sharing my distfiles over nfs myself and I haven't had any problems.
14 > portage also takes care of stale lockfiles, the masterclient truncates
15 > the lockfile and the other clients fill the lockfile with data. If a
16 > threshold is met the lock is discarded.
17
18 You're absolutely right. I set things up like this a long time ago, when
19 portage's lockfiles didn't work over NFS. I've been avoiding the
20 "problem" for so long I'd forgotten it was fixed :(
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Computer apathy error: don't bother striking any key.