From: Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Traffic volumes for distfiles mirror
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:45:17
1 On Mon, January 29, 2007 13:11, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:50:34 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> I already use a fairly complicate solution with emerge -pvf and wget in
5 >> a cron on one of the fileservers, but it's getting cumbersome. And I'd
6 >> rather not maintain an entire gentoo install on a server simply to act
7 >> as a proxy. Would I be right in saying that I'd have to keep
8 >> the "proxy" machine up to date to avoid the inevitable blockers that
9 >> will happen in short order if I don't?
10 >>
11 >> I've been looking into kashani's suggestion of http-replicator, this
12 >> might be a good interim solution till I can come up with something
13 >> better suited to our needs.
14 >
15 > I was suggesting the emerge -uDNf world in combination in
16 > http-replicator. The first request forces http-replicator to download the
17 > files, all other request for those files are then handled locally. So if
18 > you run this on a suitable cross-section of machines overnight,
19 > http-replicator's cache will be primed by the time you stumble
20 > bleary-eyed into the office.
21 >
22 > If all your machines run a similar mix of software, say KDE desktops, you
23 > only need to run the cron task on one of them.
24 >
25 > I use a slightly different approach here, with an NFS mounted $DISTDIR
26 > for all machines and one of them doing emerge -f world each morning. it's
27 > simpler to set up that http-replicator but is less scalable since you'll
28 > get problems if one machines tries to download a file while another is
29 > partway through downloading it.
30
31 portage uses locking for distfiles so if your share is writeable you
32 wouldn't have any need for http-replicator. The locks are kept in
33 $DISTDIR/.locks/
34
35 I'm sharing my distfiles over nfs myself and I haven't had any problems.
36 portage also takes care of stale lockfiles, the masterclient truncates the
37 lockfile and the other clients fill the lockfile with data. If a threshold
38 is met the lock is discarded.
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list