From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Traffic volumes for distfiles mirror
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:17:12
1 On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:50:34 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > I already use a fairly complicate solution with emerge -pvf and wget in
4 > a cron on one of the fileservers, but it's getting cumbersome. And I'd
5 > rather not maintain an entire gentoo install on a server simply to act
6 > as a proxy. Would I be right in saying that I'd have to keep
7 > the "proxy" machine up to date to avoid the inevitable blockers that
8 > will happen in short order if I don't?
9 >
10 > I've been looking into kashani's suggestion of http-replicator, this
11 > might be a good interim solution till I can come up with something
12 > better suited to our needs.
13
14 I was suggesting the emerge -uDNf world in combination in
15 http-replicator. The first request forces http-replicator to download the
16 files, all other request for those files are then handled locally. So if
17 you run this on a suitable cross-section of machines overnight,
18 http-replicator's cache will be primed by the time you stumble
19 bleary-eyed into the office.
20
21 If all your machines run a similar mix of software, say KDE desktops, you
22 only need to run the cron task on one of them.
23
24 I use a slightly different approach here, with an NFS mounted $DISTDIR
25 for all machines and one of them doing emerge -f world each morning. it's
26 simpler to set up that http-replicator but is less scalable since you'll
27 get problems if one machines tries to download a file while another is
28 partway through downloading it.
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 Most software is about as user-friendly as a cornered rat!