From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Traffic volumes for distfiles mirror
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:15:46
1 On Monday 29 January 2007 14:11, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:50:34 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > I already use a fairly complicate solution with emerge -pvf and
4 > > wget in a cron on one of the fileservers, but it's getting
5 > > cumbersome. And I'd rather not maintain an entire gentoo install on
6 > > a server simply to act as a proxy. Would I be right in saying that
7 > > I'd have to keep the "proxy" machine up to date to avoid the
8 > > inevitable blockers that will happen in short order if I don't?
9 > >
10 > > I've been looking into kashani's suggestion of http-replicator,
11 > > this might be a good interim solution till I can come up with
12 > > something better suited to our needs.
13 >
14 > I was suggesting the emerge -uDNf world in combination in
15 > http-replicator. The first request forces http-replicator to download
16 > the files, all other request for those files are then handled
17 > locally.
18
19 OK, that does make more sense. It's what I first thought you meant but
20 then I (stupidly) thought I'd assumed wrongly...
21
22 > So if you run this on a suitable cross-section of machines
23 > overnight, http-replicator's cache will be primed by the time you
24 > stumble bleary-eyed into the office.
25
26 That has to be the most accurate description of my typical mornings I've
27 ever read anywhere... :-)
28
29 > If all your machines run a similar mix of software, say KDE desktops,
30 > you only need to run the cron task on one of them.
31
32 Um, that's the hard part. Here's KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, e17 - just for
33 WMs. All machines are ~x86 but that's where the similarities end. I
34 suppose I could set up a master machine whose world is a combination of
35 all the clients. But whatever I chose, the solution doe not appear to
36 be simple :-(
39 alan
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list