From: "Terry Z." <bezerker@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Technical imap mail question
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 02:29:18
1 It's likely worth noting that while they may resolve to the same point now,
2 there is nothing requiring the IMAP server (reading the mail stored on a
3 server) to match that is the SMTP server (outgoing mail). They are
4 entirely different purposes and protocols which do not need to live in the
5 same place. Makes perfect sense that they have different DNS names as they
6 may live on different endpoints at some point.
7
8 This is one of the entire reasons we name things with DNS anyway. :)