From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Technical imap mail question
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 22:02:15
1 On Thursday 15 Oct 2015 18:04:22 walt wrote:
2 > My ISP recently started offering imap email service in addition to
3 > the pop3/smtp servers they've always had, so I decided to try it.
4 >
5 > I was surprised to see that they recommend using a different smtp
6 > server name when setting up my mail client, and they even offer the
7 > option of using port 587 instead of 465 if I prefer it.
8 >
9 > Why would I use a different smtp server if I'm now using imap? I use
10 > smtp to send mail, and imap to read it, right? Why not use the same
11 > smtp server in either case?
12 >
13 > (The different server names actually resolve to the same IP address, so
14 > the distinction seems to be more theoretical than real, but the theory
15 > is what puzzles me.)
16 >
17 > Thanks.
18
19 Port 587 is for TLS and is the proper port to be used by MSAs as per RFC6409.
20
21 Port 467 on the other hand is for SMTPS: vanilla SMTP at the application
22 level, but the communication to the server is still secured at the transport
23 layer with SSL. This was an IANA attempt to provide a port for secure email
24 communication pre-STARTTLS days. Today I think may be used for other
25 purposes, but I am not sure if it is TCP or UDP streaming.
26
27 Port 25 (outgoing) is blocked by most domestic ISPs to guard against the
28 millions of pawned botnets out there filling out inboxes with spam.
29
30 The question about a different SMTP server might have something to do with
31 your ISP adding a new SMTP mailserver to their farm and configuring it
32 properly this time as per RFC6409. Although as Alan said, they probably
33 rolled out whatever the chosen ISP package software vendor provided for them
34 without knowing much about it, or why it is configured the way it is
35 configured.
38 Regards,
39 Mick