From: Tuomo Hartikainen <tth@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Technical imap mail question
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 05:14:48
1 On 2015-10-15 23:01, Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday 15 Oct 2015 18:04:22 walt wrote:
3 > > My ISP recently started offering imap email service in addition to
4 > > the pop3/smtp servers they've always had, so I decided to try it.
5 > >
6 > > I was surprised to see that they recommend using a different smtp
7 > > server name when setting up my mail client, and they even offer the
8 > > option of using port 587 instead of 465 if I prefer it.
9 > >
10 > > Why would I use a different smtp server if I'm now using imap? I use
11 > > smtp to send mail, and imap to read it, right? Why not use the same
12 > > smtp server in either case?
13 > >
14 > > (The different server names actually resolve to the same IP address, so
15 > > the distinction seems to be more theoretical than real, but the theory
16 > > is what puzzles me.)
17 > >
18 > > Thanks.
19 >
20 > Port 587 is for TLS and is the proper port to be used by MSAs as per RFC6409.
21 >
22 > Port 467 on the other hand is for SMTPS: vanilla SMTP at the application
23 > level, but the communication to the server is still secured at the transport
24 > layer with SSL. This was an IANA attempt to provide a port for secure email
25 > communication pre-STARTTLS days. Today I think may be used for other
26 > purposes, but I am not sure if it is TCP or UDP streaming.
27
28 As a clarification: port 587 *may* be used with STARTTLS while port 465
29 is the actual SSL/TLS port.
32 Tuomo Hartikainen