From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Peeve - finding kernel config options
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 06:04:30
1 On 26/02/2014 21:58, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > This is for those of use who to choose to roll our kernels by hand...
5 >
6 > So, am I missing something?
7 >
8 > Given the most recent gentoo news item:
9 >
10 >> # eselect news read 10
11 >> 2014-02-25-udev-upgrade
12 >> Title Upgrade to >=sys-fs/udev-210
13 >> Author Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
14 >> Posted 2014-02-25
15 >> Revision 1
16 >>
17 >> The options CONFIG_FHANDLE and CONFIG_NET are now required in the kernel.
18 >
19 > Whenever kernel config options are provided like this, it would be nice
20 > if time was taken to provide the path to where they are found.
23 make menuconfig
24 press "/"
25 type CONFIG_FHANDLE
26 press enter
27 profit!!!
28
29 [Note the lack of ??? in the list]
30
31 works like searching in vi or less
37 > I had to find the first one (CONFIG_FHANDLE) by:
38 >
39 > 1. grepping .config, seeing it wasn't enabled,
40 > 2. running make menuconfig and searching for 'FHANDLE',
41 > 3. seeing it is located in 'General setup',
42 > 4. scouring the General setup options, finding no 'FHANLDE' anywhere,
43 > 5. finding something in all lowercase named 'open by fhanlde syscalls',
44 > 6. enabling this option, saving the modified config,
45 > 7. confirming it is now enabled by grepping .config again
46 >
47 > Sheesh. Really?
48 >
49 > Would be nice if the news item had something like
50 > CONFIG_FHANDLE (General setup > 'open by fhandle syscalls')
51 > and
52 > CONFIG_NET (still don't know which one this is??)
53 >
54 > Wackadoo...
61 Alan McKinnon
62 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com