From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Best way to improve interactivity with heavy disk activity?
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 22:23:42
1 On 11/27/2010 11:34 PM, Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On 27/11/2010, at 4:29pm, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >> The way I solved the I/O problems is to use the sys-kernel/ck-sources kernel (2.6.36-r3). It shouldn't be necessary to use ionice and schedtool for most tasks, but I use it for portage with this in make.conf:
6 >>
7 >> PORTAGE_NICENESS=19
8 >> PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="sh -c \"schedtool -D \${PID}; ionice -c 3 -p \${PID}\""
9 >>
10 >> But you can use this method for everything you want. Running something with nice -19, ionice -c3 and schedtool -D should make it pretty much invisible; it should have zero impact on interactivity. At least that's the case here when using sys-kernel/ck-sources.
11 >
12 > Does using the ck-sources kernel reduce the necessity to use ionice?
13
14 To some degree, yes.
17 > For some reason I find myself a little reluctant to mess with the CFQ group scheduling.
18
19 The ck patch set does not support group scheduling anyway; it's supposed
20 to be non-configurable and "just work." So you can install it, copy
21 your .config file over, do "make oldconfig" and then build, install,
22 boot it, and see whether it helps in your situation.