From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Best way to improve interactivity with heavy disk activity?
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 21:35:04
1 On 27/11/2010, at 4:29pm, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > ...
3 > The way I solved the I/O problems is to use the sys-kernel/ck-sources kernel (2.6.36-r3). It shouldn't be necessary to use ionice and schedtool for most tasks, but I use it for portage with this in make.conf:
4 >
5 > PORTAGE_NICENESS=19
6 > PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="sh -c \"schedtool -D \${PID}; ionice -c 3 -p \${PID}\""
7 >
8 > But you can use this method for everything you want. Running something with nice -19, ionice -c3 and schedtool -D should make it pretty much invisible; it should have zero impact on interactivity. At least that's the case here when using sys-kernel/ck-sources.
9
10 Does using the ck-sources kernel reduce the necessity to use ionice?
11
12 For some reason I find myself a little reluctant to mess with the CFQ group scheduling.
13
14 Stroller.