From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Anyone tried a solid state drive?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 02:54:07
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann <at> tu-clausthal.de> writes:
4 > On Donnerstag 27 November 2008, Grant wrote:
5 > > I'm considering buying a solid-state drive to improve I/O performance
6 > > and even reduce noise. Has anyone tried this? I was considering
7 > > getting the lowest capacity I can find and putting most of the system
8 > > on it. There is a roundup on tomshardware.com and it sounds like some
9 > > are very much better than others. SLC sounds vastly superior compared
10 > > to MLC, but also much more expensive.
11
12 > > - Grant
13
14 > http://valhenson.livejournal.com/25228.html
15
16 > I would rethink that after reading that post.
19 Well, I do not agree with that post, but, that's because there are
20 a few caveats. First, do purchase quality Flash, like sandisk. Sandisk
21 have very expensive units that are touted as HD replacesments. I use
22 their lower end CF 4Gb media. Cheap flash chips will dies very easily.
23
24 Second. Do not use Flash drives to replace a busy hard drive. BAD IDEA
25 (period). Now if you what to build a 'pseudo' embedded server, say for
26 a firewall (nfs the log files and high throughput files), so you basically
27 occasionally write to the drive, then it's a good idea. I'm preparing
28 to build some nfs secondary servers, and slow down the updates, . If
29 the files get too much turn over, then those files will move, via NFS
30 mounts.
31
32 Third. Infrequent syncing and updating.
33
34 I've got one firewall up 3 months with no problems. That because
35 most everything runs via ram. It's a work
36 in progress. I know if you purchase one of those Sandisk Flash
37 based drives they work fabulously, but they are the price of
38 a 750 Gig Sata drive. Too rich for my blood.
39
40 My approach is minimalistic servers that move hi activity files
41 to somewhere in NFS land.
42
43 The good new is CF based drives use much less power
44 (much less generated heat) and are easy to duplicate.
47 After some more months, I intend to build a wiki page on what
48 I've learned..... unless somebody beats me to the punch....
52 ymmv,
53 James